Saturday 7 August 2010

Dal Palak (Lentils with Spinach)

Dal Palak

















A warming and comforting dish which tastes delicious on its with rice or chapatis or as a side dish to a varied Indian menu. I have to admit, I love just spoonfuls of it on its own!
I must say that dal is not something that I have always cooked, mainly because it is not something  that  my mum cooked at home   Our variation to this in South India would be Sambar which is also prepared with lentils and can have a number of vegetables added.
However, having tasted various dal recipes at friends' homes (and may I add, one or two restaurants!) my love of dal and quest for creating a delicious recipe began! Many tried and tested versions later, I arrived at this one which I love. This uses toor dal and I suppose if you dont like spinach, you can always omit it and make 'Dal' on its own! There are endless delicious variations of dal recipes which there's lots of time for. This is a great one to start with though! This recipe is within one of my Indian cookery classes - the Vegetarian menu to be precise. Why not try it?!

Sheba
Authentic Indian cookery classes

No comments:

Post a Comment